Skip to Content

Ensuring peace of mind one policy at a time.

At Prosper Insurance, we take the time to educate and guide our clients so they can find the perfect policy and rest easy knowing their home is protected.
This protection means no more tossing and turning at night worried about life’s “what-ifs.”

house image

Your home is the place where you’ll raise a family, make memories, and be your truest self.
Unfortunately, threats and dangers also exist in and around your home leaving you in a vulnerable position when the unexpected happens.

These dangers make having an insurance policy that fits your needs necessary so you can have peace of mind knowing your most valued assets are covered.

What to Cover

Every home is unique. That’s why we don’t believe in cookie-cutter insurance. We offer customizable coverage that fits your lifestyle. Let’s explore what could be included in your standard homeowners policy.

Repairing/rebuilding your home and other structures – Home insurance can cover the cost to repair or completely rebuild your house and other structures that may have been damaged as a result of fire, wind, hail, tornadoes, falling trees/limbs, ice dams, roof damage, and other perils. Probably not a zombie apocalypse, but we can look into that for you.

Example: It snows a bunch, and your roof caves in. The snow then falls into your house damaging your walls, cabinets, and countertops. Your homeowners insurance covers all these damages.

Temporary living expenses – If your home is damaged to the point where it is unlivable during repairs, your homeowners insurance covers hotel stays and even meal expenses above what you’d normally pay for groceries, up to your policy’s limits.

Example: A tree crashes through your roof, and you suddenly have to spend $2,500 to stay two weeks at a hotel and pay for your family’s meals. You could be covered for the entire bill, up to your policy’s limit.

Injuries and lawsuits against you – Personal liability can cover property damage or injuries that you or your family members could be held legally responsible for. There are even extra coverages you can add
for libel, slander, or other lawsuits. The coverage generally follows you all over the world as well – like your luggage.

Your stuff – Things like furniture, clothes, electronics, appliances, tools, and other personal belongings are usually covered. For more expensive, luxury items, such as jewelry or art, you might need to add
separate coverage for extra protection. Don’t forget to add your first edition Spider-Man comic book or Princess Diana Beanie Baby to your policy. Who knew your childhood favorites would be worth so much?

Additional Coverages

We believe you can never be too careful. That’s why we offer additional coverages to help you feel even more secure. Think of these as the elbow pads of home insurance.

Water back up – This type of coverage provides protection for non-pressurized pipe systems. In the event of a sump pump/sewer system back-up, and there’s overflow, you really don’t want to be left cleaning up sewer
water. Leave it to us, we have people.

Service line coverage – This helps protect homeowners if pipes or wiring on their property are damaged. This coverage will help cover the costs of repairing the damaged service lines and pipes you are legally responsible for.

Equipment breakdown – This helps to cover damages caused by covered internal forces, such as power surges, electrical shorts, mechanical breakdowns, operator error, and more. *Coverage applies to your
computer only, not software.

Refrigerated property coverage – This protects your personal property stored in freezers or refrigerators on the residence premises caused by loss of power to the refrigeration or freezer unit. *Coverage applies only if you have maintained the refrigeration unit in working condition immediately prior to the loss.

Homeowners FAQ

  • If my home was damaged, can I start repairs?

    If a natural disaster has caused significant damage to your home, you may be tempted to begin repairs right away. We get it, you just want your life back to normal. But these small repairs can mask a lot of the damage and will make it hard for an adjuster to make a fair estimate of the repair costs.

    Temporary fixes that could help prevent any further damage are a good idea, but it’s best to wait until after the insurance adjuster has taken a good solid look at your property to make permanent repairs.

  • What if my home is burglarized?

    Your first step is to ensure that you and your family are safe, and then, call the police. When the police arrive, they will complete a report with all the important info regarding your situation. This report is necessary when you file your claim and will help expedite the whole process. Make sure you also create a detailed list of your lost or damaged items, including their estimated values, and have that ready when you contact your insurance company.

  • Can I get a damage estimate before filing a claim?

    Yes, we recommend obtaining an estimate before filing a claim. Once you have your estimate, give us a call to discuss your options. We’ll also look at your policy with you to see if your estimate is above your deductible.

    Visit our Claims page to learn more.

  • What is a Deductible?

    A deductible on your insurance policy is what you pay before the insurance kicks in. This is to prevent extremely small claims from being filed as insurance is for larger emergencies. For example, if your home deductible is $1,000 and you have $10,000 in damages, the insurance company will pay the contractor repairing it $9,000, and you would pay your $1,000 deductible.

    Many policies in Hampton Roads have a separate, higher wind deductible for damage done by storms, so be sure to look at your policy carefully to understand your deductible amounts and coverage.

  • Dog Breeds and Dog Bite Situations

    Finding the proper insurance coverage can be difficult if you own a certain breed dog because a large majority of liability claims are dog bite claims. So, most insurance carriers will either not insure you, or if they do, they won’t provide coverage to a dog bite by a “vicious” breed.

    This includes but is not limited to: Pitbulls, Rottweilers, Akitas, Wolf Hybrids, Chows, Bull/Staffordsire Terriers, and more.

    If you have one of these breeds or any questions about your liability coverage, please call us at 757-448-3820.

  • How do I cancel a policy? 

    If you’ve recently sold your home or vehicle, obviously, you don’t want to continue making payments on those policies. We don’t blame you.

    Just give us a call at 757-448-3820 and let us know. Please note that we work with over 30 different insurance companies, so if you’re looking for a new policy, we can do the shopping for you as well.

  • How do I add someone to my policy?

    Give us a call! We ask that you have the following information handy so we can keep this process quick and easy for you:

    • Policy holder’s name and the name of the driver you would like to add
    • Policy number or address
    • What cars are being removed or added (if any) and their VIN numbers
    • Specify coverage- will you need more? You can also choose to keep it the same as the other vehicles on your policy.

    For all driver related changes to your policy, give us a call at 757-448-3820.

  • What to do if my mortgage company changed?

    If your mortgage company has changed, simply give us a call to let us know. This is a common occurrence and most mortgage companies do not inform the insurance carriers when they make a switch. It’s very important for us to have the correct mortgage information on the insurance policy so your coverage doesn’t get interrupted.

    Give us a call today at 757-448-3820 so we can help make a seamless transition.

Explore Articles & Resources

Homeowners Insurance 101

For most people, their home is their most important (and expensive) asset. You want to protect it at all costs. This need is where homeowners insurance comes into play.…

Read More
Gap Insurance

Gap insurance comes to the rescue if your vehicle is totaled or stolen, and you owe more on it than what it’s worth. It’s an optional coverage which means it does not come standard on your auto policy. BTW- gap insurance is also referred to as loan/lease gap insurance. There’s a lot to know about […]…

Read More
How Is The Price of Homeowners Insurance Calculated?

A variety of factors are considered when your agent is pricing out your hom…

Read More
Landlord Insurance 101

Most people don’t know about landlord liability coverage, unless they are a landlord. If you own property with tenants, or if you rent your beach house out for the summer, you need landlord insurance. Renting is very popular these days. While the number of rental …

Read More
Mold and Mildew- Am I Covered?

Most home insurance policies do not cover mold removal or damage from mold or bacteria, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t still file a claim. There are a few exceptions. When It Is Covered  Sudden mold-related incidents specified on your policy m…

Read More

Happy Homeowners

Just to name a few.


“Not only did my agent find the most amazing rates ever for us, she did so with class and amazing customer service.”

Brett S. Chesapeake, VA

“I was pleasantly surprised at how quick and efficient it was to get a quote for home owners insurance.”

Christi M. Chesapeake, VA

“Prosper made insurance less intimidating than I thought it would be as a first time homebuyer.”

Dalton K. Chesapeake, VA

“My agent put my worries to rest, put everything into layman’s terms, and gave me a quote at a fantastic rate!”

Katie S. Virginia Beach, VA

“I wish I used these guys for my past home purchase.”

Matt G. Virginia Beach, VA
Let’s work together
Back to top