The flowers are blooming, the birds are chirping, and it’s finally time to do that yearly home maintenance to keep your home safe and clean. To help make your spring cleaning off to a great start this year, here is a maintenance checklist for the exterior and interior of your home.
Let’s start with the exterior of your home. This includes everything from checking and replacing weather-stripping around windows and doors to cleaning out your gutters.
- Roof: Damage to your roof can lead to a multitude of problems down the road if not properly inspected. Water damage and mold can go undetected to the human eye so make sure to hire a professional to get your roof checked out!
- Gutters & Downspouts: Do you have build-up in your gutters from pine straw, leaves, or other items clogging up your gutters? This is a great time to get rid of all that roof junk that is hurting your drainage system.
- Outdoor Faucets: Make sure outdoor faucets are in good working order by testing them before storing away any hoses for summer. If you notice any dripping or leaking, make sure to repair it right away—otherwise, it could lead to additional water damage over time.
- Windows/Doors: Look at your windows and doors around the house – Are there any cracks, or gaps that need to be sealed? If so, your energy bill may be reflecting that. Make sure to check because you shouldn’t feel heat or cold coming from your windows or doors.
Now, let’s make our way back inside… Start by giving your walls a fresh coat of paint. It may not seem like much, but it can really brighten up a room! Next, give your floors some love by vacuuming carpets and mopping hardwood floors. If you have tile floors, make sure to scrub them down with a grout cleaner. It may take a bit of elbow grease but trust us, making sure those tiles stay clean will be worth it in the long run! Finally, don’t forget about air filters! Changing your air filters every 3 months will keep dust particles from building up and ensure that you breathe easy all year round!
- Check Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors: It might seem like an obvious task, but checking smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should be on your spring maintenance checklist. Batteries die quickly. We recommend replacing them twice a year for regular maintenance; once in the spring and once in the fall.
- Plumbing: Make sure your plumbing is running smoothly and the drains are working properly. Flooding can also happen inside the house if pipes burst.
- Update Home Inventory: In the event, something does happen to your home, and you need to file a claim, make sure your home inventory reflects any remodels, new furnishings, and appliances you may have added over the past year. If you’re like what the heck is a home inventory list?! Here’s an article to help explain the importance of tracking your belongings.
Nobody wants their springtime fun ruined by unexpected home improvement repairs. Take some time to go through this checklist and make sure everything is taken care of before any major damage happens!
By taking thee simple steps, you’ll know that whatever comes your way this season (or any season) will be well taken care of by both you and your Prosper Insurance agent. Enjoy peace of mind while still being able to appreciate all the great things about springtime!
If you have any questions about your home insurance, don’t hesitate to ask as! We’re here to answer any question even if it sounds silly. Give us a call at (757) 248-5973. And if you’re looking for a new insurance provider, we can compare quotes to help find the best company for you! Simply click here to start your online home insurance quote.
What are you waiting for? Start checking off those items!